Russian Beet Salad
6 years, 7 months ago
Today I want to share a Traditional Russian Beet Salad recipe. I posted this in my Instagram Stories last week and everyone has been asking for it! All Russians love this salad dearly and know how to make it. It is a super savory potato salad, similar to German style, but it’s lighter and dairy free!
As much as I like this salad, I don’t make it too often because I love my vegetables raw and unprocessed. However, it does includes some of my favorite healthy ingredients like probiotic sauerkraut and beets. Some people add different ingredients but I prefer the classic recipe. My mom adds some canned sweet peas to it, but I don’t.
Do you remember health benefits of sauerkraut?
- Stronger immune system
- Helps digest other foods that you eat with it
- Better breath because probiotics destroy candida
- Weight loss aid
- Healthy, glowing skin
- Reduced cold and flu
- Fights leaky gut syndrome and inflammation
Let me know if you going to try to make it!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 Small Beets
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Potato
- 2 Dill Pickles
- 100 g Sauerkraut
- ¼ Green Apple
- ¼ small Onion
- Olive oil, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Canned Sweet Peas (optional)
- Vinegar (optional)
- Wash beets, potatoes and carrots and boil until soft. Let them cool and peel the skin off. Cut them into small cubes.
- Cut pickles into small cubes. Mince onion into really small cubes.
- In a salad bowl add salt, pepper, olive oil and mix all the vegetables until they start to stick together and pick up color from the beets. Some people add a little vinegar but I prefer adding more pickles and sauerkraut for that sour taste. Let me know if you like it!